The Tram Car had its beginnings in 1939 at the New York World's Fair. Brought to the New Jersey Wildwoods in 1949 by Sebastian Ramagosa, the Tram Car was run by the Ramagosa family until 1994 when it was sold to Sightseers. Inc., a local group of business owners. The Wildwood Tram Cars are operated by the local Wildwoods Boardwalk Special Improvement District Management Corporation.
The Wildwoods is a seashore destination bringing families and friends together, and the ever popular boardwalk is one of its main attractions. The tram car is used to ferry millions of tourists up and down the two and one-half mile boardwalk.